5 March 2009

This and That

Craft-i-leigh has given me this question to answer,

I was just going through some of your work. I am new to the world of stitching and have been browsing various blogs to try and gain some knowledge and get some tips / ideas. I originally started with a stamped, then counted “kits”. I’m working on my 2nd chart and have noticed some big differences in floss types and quality.
My Cross Stitch Mentor has told me that I’m ready to graduate from Aida, but I really like Aida. Maybe it’s just beginner’s comfort???
If you would answer my question… What type of fabric or fabrics do you prefer and why? Brands and counts?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!


Nowadays I stitch on evenweave or linen. My first attempt was on 25ct evenweave with a Lizzie*Kate design that was in a UK magazine (big blocks of colour!) and I have never looked back since. I do prefer the look of linen, but if I stitch anything for my Mum she prefers me to stitch on evenweave. I like using Zweigart linens and evenweaves, it's not often I will stray and use anything else. As for the count, I do like 32ct and above, but I will use 28ct if I have to. I do think projects, especially those that are to be framed look so much better stitched on linen or evenweave. The only advice I can give is to have a go, you won't know until you've tried. I guarantee you'll change to evenweave/linen....eventually.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

A big thank-you to Akila for an award. I have won this one before so please forgive me if I refrain from passing it along again.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Another award, this time from Lynn. Thank you Lynn for this "Special Friends Award.



The description to go with this award reads; "These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these kind writers. When you pass the award along please include these guidelines. I am to choose eight friends to share this with."
In no particular order:
1). AnneS - Feather Stitching
2). Carol - Garden of Stitches
3). Chris - Chris Cross Corner
4). Judy - Crazee4books-Cross Stitch-Cats
5). Nicki - Plush
6). Nicole - Nicole's Needlework
7). Sally - Stitchyangel's Treasures
and, it's coming back to you Lynn, you are one special lady,
8). Lynn - Lynn's take on life, family and stitching

The rules say 8 but there are so many more I feel I could call friends. I have 'met' some wonderful people through the blogs. People who inspire me, to try new techniques, to look at designers I have never heard of. I wouldn't of stitched many of the items I have if it hadn't been for you lovely ladies and gentlemen out there. If you see your name above please take the award, if these things aren't for you, I understand they aren't for everyone, but I just wanted to show my appreciation.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the award Andrea:)

    Your Santa of the Forest is coming along really well. I love watching this one grow.

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware that I do have comment moderation on.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.