30 July 2011

Beaded Edge How-To: Edited with "Questions & Answers"

First of all I have to say that this is my way of finishing a beaded edge and by no means the only way. So on we go .....

For this ornament I used Gutermann - Rocailles 9/0 beads. They seem to be slightly bigger than Mill Hill beads.



-oOo-

Once you have stitched your piece, stitch another for the back and back-stitch around, making sure they are exactly the same. Obvious I know but do check!


-oOo-

Cut around each piece leaving a small edge. This can be fray-checked or over-sewn to stop fraying or left as it's not going to be showing. The pieces can have interfacing put on if you prefer to have them slightly firmer.


-oOo-

Turn each edge under and tack (baste) in place. At this point I usually add my hanger as I put a couple stitches to secure it in place, just in case. Secure your matching thread at the back of the work and come up to the right side at a corner. Then take the first back-stitch from the back piece and over-sew to the first stitch of the front piece.


-oOo-

Second stitch ..... add a bead and then over-sew together the second stitch from the back piece to the second stitch of the front piece. Not a brilliant photo this one ... sorry.


-oOo-

Continue with a 'non-bead' stitch and a 'bead stitch' all the way around. Keep your thread lengths short as I've found it does fray and break easily.





-oOo-



All the way around ....


-oOo-



Once you get to the last side you can think about stuffing. Keep stitching a few stitches and adding the stuffing through the opening until you can go no further. Secure the thread and you're done.



Merry Christmas (freebie) - Log Cabin Needleworks.
Designed by Sandra Longan Miller of
Stitchin' and Life in a Small Town.
32ct Light Sand Belfast Linen.
DMC as charted. Omitted outside border.
Finished as a Beaded Ornament.



Any questions please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll do my best to answer them.

MicheleB asks: "This is so timely - I just completed the backstitching for the back piece of what will be my first beaded ornament. Thank you so much for such a clear tutorial. I do have one question - do you secure your hanger by attaching it to the backstitches? I can't quite figure out how best to do it so stitches don't show on the back of the ornament."




OK, I secure the hanger on the bit that I fold over to the wrong side. Where the corners meet you have 3 layers to stitch on to and you won't see any stitches coming through.

22 comments:

  1. Excellent tutorial! I will definitely be bookmarking it! I've always admired the beading edging, but had no idea how it was done. Thanks Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good job love the stitched ornament

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the tutorial! The ornament is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG ~ What a sweetheart you are for this tutorial! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tutorial. I've made tons of ornaments, but have never tried a beaded edging. Now I don't feel so nervous about trying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the beaded edge technique. It is so pretty, I just have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent " how to" Andrea, I'll be trying this out myself very soon, thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! Your ornaments look great finished this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Andrea for taking the time to do this tutorial. I will definetly be using it shortly. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so timely - I just completed the backstitching for the back piece of what will be my first beaded ornament. Thank you so much for such a clear tutorial. I do have one question - do you secure your hanger by attaching it to the backstitches? I can't quite figure out how best to do it so stitches don't show on the back of the ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very helpful. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I will definitely be giving this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tutorial. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have got a nice blog site and a fabulous tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial - thank you for putting the time into it. I've done a beaded edge before but usually have to re-educate myself again the next time LOL. I love this ornament you did - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make it look easy! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try finishing something this way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Anyone who has admired your beautiful finishing will find this really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your tutorial was really clear. I do this edging myself and have found that using Nimo beading thread - for the backstitching and attaching the beads is excellent as it is very strong and doesn't easily fray. You can buy it in lots of different colours too. Irene xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial, Andrea! Lovely stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for this. After reading your latest blog post and admiring your 'Red House in Winter' ornament I intend to make some cross stitch ornaments for next year's Christmas gifts (well that is the plan), now I can give them a professional finish.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please can someone help me, I find the craftroom blog excellent and came across it originally on Pinterest. However it would be helpful to be able to download or print out some the tutorials but cannot work how to do this, Can someone help me with this please?

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware that I do have comment moderation on.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.