Just trying to get back to normality after my week away in Cornwall. The weather was mixed, it didn't really know what it wanted to do, rain or shine. In the end we seemed to have both most days. Good job I didn't pack my shorts! Mum, Dad and I had a cottage for the week, far away from passing traffic and with only the sounds of trees rustling and birds singing. A perfect retreat to get away from everything.
My one wish was to visit St. Michael's Mount, somewhere where I had wanted to visit for quite some time. Oh it is steep up to the castle and with cobbles under foot, not such a pleasant journey. We heard from the guides that there has been quite a few royalty visit over the years; Queen Victoria (when she was younger, perhaps in her 20s), Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall in more recent years and the Queen and Prince Phillip visited in 2013. From what we gathered they did go via the private route which the owners usually use nowadays. Lucky them!
St.Michaels Mount .....
St.Michaels Mount .....
Can you see the causeway just appearing to the right of the photo?
and Glendurgen Garden. Actually situated in 3 valleys. Walk along one side, down to the shore at the Helford River and then back again. Lots of beautiful rhododendrons to admire .....
Stop and while and take a seat .....
Don't forget to try the maze .. but leave plenty of time in case you get lost!
The Lizard. The rugged cliffs at the furthest point south of our island .....
Land's End. Another rugged coastline. Perfect for nesting birds. .....
Longships Lighthouse in the distance .....
-oOo-
I didn't take any stitching away with me, I wanted a complete break. However on my return I had received the next part of Frosty Forest through the post, so I had to put a few stitches in. Well I have to start and visit your blogs ..... I have many to catch up on. :) ..... the holiday is over ..... I am back to work tomorrow (boo!)
Until next time .....
Yes, isn't it sad to have to go back to work after a great vacation? Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos , hope you a great holiday , the weather as not been to good here this week.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful vacation Andrea.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Wow! Very lovely. Thanks for taking me along. ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful holiday pictures! It sounds like it was a very relaxing time. Hopefully your first day back at work won't be too bad. :)
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful! What a nice get away!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your beautiful holiday photos Andrea. It looks like a beautiful part of the world.
ReplyDeleteI just got my latest Frosty Forest instalment today. Not too many parts to go now.
been to St Michael's Mount and loved it too ... we did the cause way on the way back but the boat there ...we were in our sealed knot costumes when we went ... gorgeous photos .. hope work wasn't too bad ... love mouse xxxxx
ReplyDeleteLovely! I really enjoyed traveling with you in this post. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAndrea,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the photos you shared from your vacation. I live in the USA, so these are places that I will probably never see in person so it is fun to get a glimpse of other parts of the world. I also love your photos of the Frosty Forest; I may have to look at her website. Thanks again for sharing. Happy stitching!!
What fabulous photos, Andrea!! I felt like I was right there with you. The maze looks so interesting and I love the boat in the garden, too! Welcome back to reality--so glad you and your parents had such a relaxing vacation :)
ReplyDeleteAndrea, what a lovely retreat you had in Cornwall. Sounds heavenly, just the songs of the birds and the rustling of the leaves, just perfect to regain some energy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures from ST. Michael's Mount, the gardens and the rugged coast line.
Lovely photos looks like you had a great holiday. I was down that way last year in St Ives....beautiful part of the country x
ReplyDeleteGlad you had such a nice time - love that part of the country x
ReplyDeleteIt looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a gorgeous time
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful getaway. Hope your relaxed and ready to take on the next day (work). Enjoyed every photo Thank you.
ReplyDeletelove Annette
Lovely photos from your holiday Andrea. Such a beautiful place.
ReplyDelete