27 May 2017

..... And Then It Went Up In Smoke

Dear friends and fellow bloggers,

My sewing machine has finally gone up in smoke ..... literally. I am not pleased.  I was half way through another project bag and then ... BANG! ... and smoke ... and a not so very pleasant smell. Now it's one thing looking for a machine when you have a working model and possibly looking to have one next year but when you haven't got one .... I NEED one NOW! I think my Bank Holiday may be doing some research on sewing machines.
 
-oOo-
 
A couple of weeks ago I did make time to go to the framers. I ended up taking:
  • The Drawn Thread - Love Letters
  • The Drawn Thread - Good Tidings
  • The Drawn thread - The Little Birds Sampler
  • Little House Needleworks - Winter Plaid
They should be done soon, another week perhaps.

-oOo-

For my ornament for May I chose to stitch Waiting for Santa by Swallick Stitchery. Our next door neighbours have a smallholding with a few sheep, goats and chickens, oh and a cockerel that crows at the wrong time of day!! I have enjoyed seeing the new arrivals out in the small paddocks so it was an ideal time to stitch this fun design.

 
Waiting for Santa - Swallick Stitchery.
32ct Raw Belfast Linen.
Used GAST and DMC alternatives.
GAST Cherry Bark and the other DMC alternatives.
From Just Cross Stitch Ornament Issue 2016.
 
-oOo-

Next on the agenda was a Little House Needleworks piece, Needleworker. I'd seen quite a few finishes on YouTube channels for this so I was inspired to stitch mine. The fabric colour on the chart photo - I know you can't always go by this - looked very much like the mushroom linen I had so I used that instead of the called for fabric. I only have the fabric in a 36ct or 40ct so plumped for the 40ct. Many of you have changed the thread colour of the needle but I stitched as charted.

 
Needleworker - Little House Needleworks.
40ct Mushroom Newcastle Linen.
Used recommended Classic Colorworks threads that came with chart.

 

-oOo-

Summer, I hope , is just around the corner - going by this week it is closer than you think - and I have stitched another 'bee inspired' design by Lizzie Kate. This is "A Little Bee", a kit that came with the fabric and button. Still to be fully finished, I have a number in the pile now. I really must get around to completing some of them ... but something has put a stop to that!


 
A Little Bee (Kit) - Lizzie Kate.
30ct Natural Linen.
Used recommended WDW or DMC alternatives.
  
-oOo-

Now I have tried so hard not to stitch anything Christmas or Winter related except for the monthly ornaments but ......I can't wait any more. It was inevitable. So my newest WIP is country Snow Place Like Home by Country Cottage Needleworks. I am stitching all of the 5 charts together in a row. 40ct Vintage Country Mocha is the fabric I am using with the recommended threads.


Snow Place Like Home: Snow Place 3 -  Country Cottage Needleworks.
40ct Vintage Country Mocha Newcastle Linen.
Used recommended threads.
 
 
 
Snow Place Like Home: Snow Place 2 (on the left) and Snow Place 3 (on the right) -  Country Cottage Needleworks.
40ct Vintage Country Mocha Newcastle Linen.
Used recommended threads.
 
-oOo-
 
So I think I am caught up with everything. I hope everyone here in the UK has a good Bank Holiday, although I think we have had all the sun we are getting for now, rain is forecast for our area. I believe it is Memorial Day in the USA too on Monday.

Until next time .......

16 comments:

  1. ooooo nooooo.... I have got a janome mystyle 64 as well as a singer ( got it from aldi actually) sooo if you get totally stuck ...
    lovely stitching of your pieces, I have just framed my needleworker and I think I there's snow place like home too ... we have had thunderstorms today but washing did dry in between them :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have so many pretty projects finished and in progress. I love Waiting for Santa and Needleworker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I hope you are successful on your sewing machine mission.
    You have shared so many stitched up lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on all of the cute finishes Andrea.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, I am sorry about your sewing machine going up in smoke. I hope you find something soon. All of your featured projects great. I have seen that sheep ornament in a couple of places on the net and it is definitely moving onto my list for 2017. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love seeing your beautiful work. Very sad about the good old sewing machine. Enjoy your holiday and hopefully it might include a new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say Andrea is Wow wow wow.
    You have stitched some wonderful stitching designs and a great finish.
    Your stitching is so neat and love what you have stitched.
    Well it's been Summer here this week but very windy with it ,so it's not been to hot thank goodness .
    Sorry to hear about your sewing machine , I had a new one two years ago , and hate it , I would love to have my old black singer back I made lots of things on there for years and never had a problem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no!
    Nothing like losing your best sewing friend during a project.
    I wish you luck deciding which machine to buy to fit your needs.
    You've been busy! All of your projects are so pretty.
    Sounds like you will have a bunch of nice projects hanging up soon with your framed pieces.
    Have a great Holiday.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many wonderful works.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, So sorry to hear about your sewing machine, I just bought a new one that is still in the box, an entry level Bernina, my friends have had theirs for over a quarter of a century and swear by them. It's heavy since it's all metal parts, my inexpensive Brother has served me well but it doesn't sew threw heavy fabric so I went for the Bernina. Good luck on your search!!

    On to your stitching!!! I love, love that Needlworker chart and it's on my to buy list, your stitching is lovely. I think it is such a great piece to frame for a craft/sewing room.

    The Lizzie Kate A little bee is precious, a charming little stitch. It's nice to do the quick ones between the stitch heavy ones.

    And The waiting for Santa is so cute...I never saw that one before. Great progress on your CCN charts!! So much to see on this post!! I just became a new follower too! Mary@stitchingfriendsforever2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, no!! I feel for you, Andrea! My machine is barely working and I hardly dare use it for more than sewing up a simple ornament. Can't take it for service (if that will even help!) until July... If you check my blog post from April 4th, you'll see all of the suggestions that fellow stitchers made for purchasing a new machine. That may be helpful to you...

    Absolutely can't wait to see your framed finishes--especially Good Tidings as you were the one who inspired me to buy that chart :) Love the Needleworker on the mushroom Newcastle (we don't seem to have that color here in the states). And your little Christmas and bee pieces are adorable. Best of luck with your machine shopping--and enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waiting for Santa is adorable, it did make me smile.
    Sad news your machine has had a meltdown.... lots of lovely projects awaiting some sewing and finishing off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you manage to find a suitable sewing machine soon. I can imagine how lost you must be without it.

    Love Waiting for Santa. It is such a cute to stitch. Nice to see you have started Snow Place Like Home. It looks brilliant on 40 count fabric which is nice to see as that is what I have chosen for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have some great new finishes, Andrea.
    But not very good to read about your damaged sewing machine. I hope you will soon have a new one. I can't imagine life without a sewing machine, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Andrea that is terrible news about your sewing machine. I hope you have good luck in finding another one that you will enjoy. I love all of your chosen stitches so much. I have bought the LKate bee stitch and can't wait to start it. I love the needleworker stitch and you chose the perfect fabric. Love the waiting for Christmas...it's just so hard to resist holiday stitches. Looking forward to seeing how you finish them off. RJ @ stitching friends forever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops.. so sorry about your sewing machine! Love all of your projects. My favorites are Needleworker and Snow place like home! I am going to order for the Needleworker right away after seeing yours

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware that I do have comment moderation on.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.