3 November 2018

Ghoulish Goings On With an Autumnal Twist

Dear friends and fellow bloggers,

A warm welcome to November. The leaves on the trees have definitely turned. The heating is on so it's nice and cosy inside.
 
-oOo-

Today I have a stitching finish and a fully finished piece which I am very pleased with. First the stitching finish. I did manage to finish on the evening of October 31st. I'm not going to rush trying to fully finish it now, it will wait until sometime next year. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the colours worked on this, they are lovely, a real Autumnal feel as well as a witchy twist. I did change the GAST Chamomile that was charted. I think it said DMC 3011 as an alternative on the chart but I looked at another conversion and that mentioned DMC 371 which I preferred. It is stitched on 40ct Silvery Moon Newcastle. This is the first time I have used Silvery Moon and it just has a hint of greyness to it.




Ghoul Tidings - Plum Street Samplers.
40ct Silvery Moon Newcastle linen.
Stitched with the recommended threads except
DMC 371 instead of GAST Chamomile.
 
-oOo-
 
Did I show my last Autumn finish … I don't think I did. Well I have a fully finish on it now. I'm so pleased.
 
 
Oktober Feast - With Thy Needle and Thread / Brenda Gervais.
40ct Lecacy PTP linen.
Used recommended threads.
Used thin handmade twisted cord for bow instead of 6-strands of thread as called for on the chart.
Pom-pom trim is Vintage by Dames of the Needle
 
 
It is stitched on 40ct Legacy Picture This Plus linen with all of the recommended threads. The only thing I did change was the bow on the neck of the squirrel. It said to have 6-strands of thread but I decided I would make a thin twisted cord and just sew it on the front of the piece. Not sure whether I'll keep the ends that length, may be a bit too long looking at the photo … I can always make them shorter at a later date.
I really wanted to finish it similar to the way Brenda Gervais did on the photo on the chart. However there was no way I was going to send to the USA for one of the little tables … customs duty and all that … I would of wanted a second one for another chart of her charts that is finished in the same way. Good old Ebay came to my rescue. I looked under "wooden candlestick" and on the first page there was my answer. It was meant to be. In the centre of the candlestick was a shallow plastic dish with a small spike (to hold the candle on) in the middle held in by 2 tacks. I tried to get the spike off with some pincers but instead pulled the whole shallow dish out which was even better. Everything was going so right. It was then a case of making the stitching in to a round as you would an ornament. The pom-pom trim was attached to the piece before I attached it to the candlestitck. It's wonderful - even if I do say so myself - perfect colour too, I didn't have to do anything to it at all, except dismantle the plastic part.
 


 
-oOo-
 
Don't foget the Christmas RAK has been announced on the previous post. Get your comments in on at post if you haven't done so already.
 
-oOo-
 
Until next time …….
 
 

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE Oktober Feast so much Andrea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the squirrel finish, Andrea! Love it on the wooden candlestick! Well done! Congratulations on getting the stitching finished on Ghoul Tidings; what a pretty linen color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, that's a fabulous finish for the squirrel and I really like Ghoulish Tidings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. October Feast is beautiful. I love how you finished it. That Ghoulish finish looks just barely grey. It is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, fantastic finishing on both pieces!! I love the color of the candlestick, did it come like that or did you paint it? The squirrel sits perfectly on it. Isn't it a great feeling when a finish comes together easily? Love your Ghoul tidings too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little squirrel is precious, Andrea--a perfect finish! I just purchased a wooden candlestick at a thrift store for $1.00. Will have to keep in mind your finish :) And your Ghoul Tidings is so cute--love the way the black kitties are pulling the witch and her pumpkins!

    Enjoy what remains of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! and the two smalls in the background are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of the Autumn pieces are so pretty. Ghoul Tidings is in my stash and I really want to stitch it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can admire two beautiful works today, both of which I like very much. I especially like the squirrel, and the kind of finish.
    Happy sunday, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Halloween piece. This year I have seen so many Halloween pieces that have inspired me, maybe next year I should have a few months sewing them all up. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute finishes.
    Gotta love that squirrel!!
    Great job with the candlestick finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. So wonderful finishes.
    Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oktober Fest is wonderful! I love the finish, it fits perfectly on your candlestick. Isn't it a great feeling when a finish comes together so well? Did the candlestick come finished in that pretty wood tone? Love your setting withh your other sweet squirrel stitches!

    Ghoul tidings is another fun stitch, I just love the penny border. You had a productive Autumn Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful finish of Oktober Feast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Andrea , what can I say just beautiful ,your stitching is perfect and what lovely finishes .

    The candlestick is wicked great idea.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful finish Andrea.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ghoul Tidings is so lovely.
    A great finish on the candlestick, amazing what you can find isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Ghoul Tidings on that light fabric! That has been on my to-do list for ever along with First Snow, the freebie you showed a while back. Congrats on all your beautiful finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just fabulous stitching and your finishing is always so delightful 😘

    ReplyDelete
  20. As usual, your stitching and finishing are so lovely! The candlestick finish is perfect! You were so lucky to find it and make it work! The colors in both pieces are so pretty! I’m so glad Fall is here and it’s getting cooler! I’ve had a fire in my fireplace and it’s so relaxing! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love Oktober feast and how you finished it. It is just adorable. I have stitched this one but have not finished it yet. All your stitching is gorgeous. I always love to see everything you do. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware that I do have comment moderation on.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.