I have got my stitching back on track and actually finished off those pesky French knots. I haven't dared look to see if there are any more. The odd one or two is no problem, but a gazillion of them, pleaseeeee. Dear old Bergamot was more straight forward and a pleasure to stitch. I've had a good weekend of stitching all in all.
The Butterfly Garden - The Drawn Thread.
36ct Summer Khaki Edinburgh Linen.
Recommended hand-dyed silks and threads.
36ct Summer Khaki Edinburgh Linen.
Recommended hand-dyed silks and threads.
-oOo-
Answer:
A large group of butterflies is called a lek, swarm, rabble.
The most common non-entomologist term for a large gathering of butterflies is "rabble". Where the term rabble is defined as a swarm of animals or insects; a crowd or array of disorderly people; a disorderly collection; a confused medley.
Lekking behavior in insects, is the act or practice of gathering. Swarm behavior is a collective behavior of insects, as in the behavior exhibited by the Monarch Butterfly, which aggregate together, milling about the same spot or moving en masse or migrating in some direction.
Both "leking" and "swarm" are terms used by entomologist in describing the grouping of butterflies.
The most common non-entomologist term for a large gathering of butterflies is "rabble". Where the term rabble is defined as a swarm of animals or insects; a crowd or array of disorderly people; a disorderly collection; a confused medley.
Lekking behavior in insects, is the act or practice of gathering. Swarm behavior is a collective behavior of insects, as in the behavior exhibited by the Monarch Butterfly, which aggregate together, milling about the same spot or moving en masse or migrating in some direction.
Both "leking" and "swarm" are terms used by entomologist in describing the grouping of butterflies.
http://wiki.answers.com
-oOo-
Oh before I go, I have put a tab at the top of the blog for any papercraft projects. If you're interested go look - it will just be photos. If not then it is out of the way and won't spoil your enjoyment of my stitching.
The butterfly garden looks great. Thanks for the info.
ReplyDeleteLinda
Wonderful! The garden is so gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteЭто очень красиво! Прекрасно!
ReplyDeleteIt is gorgeous Andrea. I love the colors and admire your perseverance with the French knots.
ReplyDeleteSuch a pretty piece!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful piece!
ReplyDeleteVery pretty!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's looking gorgeous, great progress
ReplyDeleteLovely stitching and such a pretty design.
ReplyDeleteOh it gets better, education as well as pretty pictures lol. I must admit I thought it was a Fluttering of Butterflies and it does sound much nicer than the real words. DT is growing nicely and I look forward to the time when I can start mine.
ReplyDeleteIt's coming along beautifully!
ReplyDeleteWell now I know what a group of butterflies are called! Love your progress! I think this design is so beautiful with all the specialty stitches!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful stitching, Andrea! So glad those French knots are all finished up--you did a wonderful job on them!
ReplyDeleteSooooooo beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCarol S. in NH
Such a pretty design :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful piece, Andrea.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing a wonderful job and I can't wait to see the finished piece.
Thanks for the interesting info on the butterflies. We have many here in our yard, all different types and colors.
Have a good week ahead. Happy Stitching
Lovely stitching. Great info, very interesting.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Andrea x
ReplyDeleteGorgeous!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo pretty!! You're far better than I am in persevering with the french knots. I can also handle one or two but if I knew ahead of time how many there were in the design it would be enough to turn me off stitching it. That's how much I detest them!
ReplyDeleteStill looking lovely! I agree - lek, swarm and rabble do not suit pretty butterflies! But what can we do?
ReplyDeleteSo great, your DT piece.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!!!
ReplyDelete