1 May 2017

Jumping On The Bandwagon

Dear friends and fellow bloggers,

Just thought I would drop in on this May Day Bank Holiday Monday to show you my latest effort. As you know there is a lot of excitement about project bags at the moment. Well I just had to have a go. After a lot of deliberation about what type I wanted to make, I finally made a choice. The envelope ones would of been easier but I felt that I do turn my bags on their sides at times and I worried that things might fall out. So then I looked at the zippered variety. The ones I originally looked at had the seam showing on the inside, I like to hide my workings! I looked and looked any finally ..... The Primitive Stitcher on Flosstube gave me the answer on her latest video. I just couldn't work it out in my head what I wanted to achieve. She mentioned Craftsy, I don't know where I've been but I'd never heard of this site. You have to sign in to get an account but the video/written tutorial is free and is here.
 
 
I just tried a small bag to get the idea of things and then went ahead and made my first - and probably not my last - project bag. You have to fiddle about with sizings but I did find the tutorial easy to follow. Originally I used fusible interfacing but I did use extra heavyweight interfacing in this bag. I didn't particularly needed padding as it was just holding paper charts and thread but I did want it to be as firm as possible and keep it structured.

 
I haven't put a zip in for 30 years! I could tell. Need a bit more practise on that sewing technique! There will be a few small things I would like to change for next time, a few tweaks here and there.


All in all I'm pleased with my first effort and it was a pleasant change from finishing cushions and ornaments. Although I take my hat off to people who can make these in an hour. FIVE hours!!

 
Until next time .......
 

24 comments:

  1. Love project bag Andrea.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, love the green fabric.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic make Andrea! I know that zip can be frustrating to work with but your finish looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag looks great. Love the colors. I know all about Craftsy! Such a great site. Thanks for sharing the links. Looking forward to seeing new bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Andrea. Like you I haven't inserted a zipper for a very long time and frankly I avoid doing so .... I must muster some courage and give it a whirl because I really do like these project bags - thanks for the link. k

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks just wonderful! I have a few which were sweet--and very useful--gifts from a talented friend. But I'd like a few more in different sizes, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super! It looks great Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fantastic, Andrea! I'm very jealous. I too have seen these all over Flosstube, but I would have no idea where to start in making one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours came out just great Andrea. I am lucky I just sent my fabric to my sister to do a couple for me. I just did a tiny zip bag myself and much easier then the one you did. Its for scissors etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful bag in fresh green spring colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to make one of these, zippers intimidate me! Yours came out great, love the two fabrics used as green is my favorite color. I bet you will cut the time in half next time! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your project bag came out great, love that you used two different fabrics and I'm intimated by zippers too...it's been over 30 years since I put one in too. I bet you cut your time down in half the next time you make one. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very nice project bag. I made an envelope one and that seemed to take forever! You've put me in the notion to try a zipped one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a structured bag as well! I'm always toting something around and I dislike stuff falling out. What size did it end up? You did a really fantastic job! I'd never know you hadn't installed a zipper in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Love your project bag , and the colour is beautiful .
    Congratulations your work is always so perfect. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh Andrea, I am really impressed :-) I have been toying with the idea of making one simply because I want one so desperately. I have some Jane Austen printed fabric that would be perfect. You have definitely inspired me and given me the links to help. Yours is absolutely gorgeous and you should be very pleased with yourself. Love the colour of yours. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bag turned out lovely Andrea. Love your color choices. I just worked on a sewing project that seemed never ending so I know how that goes. You will get much enjoyment out of your project bag. RJ from stitching friends forever 2

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty project bag. It would have taken me that long or longer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful project bag! Well worth your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, SO pretty in that luscious color, Andrea! I've been wanting to try making one, too, but have to wait until my sewing machine is back in proper working order. Thanks for the link to the wonderful tutorial on Craftsy--I promptly went and viewed it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful project bag that you made. These bags are o useful in all possible sizes. I used to make them years ago but I gave them all away as gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Please be aware that I do have comment moderation on.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.